Thursday, May 20, 2010

Yak and Yeti Restaurant

In Sanskrit, Anandapor means “place of delight.” Located within this tiny village in Asia at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the Yak and Yeti Restaurant can certainly be considered a “place of delight” for your taste buds.



Overview:
Prior to this visit, I had never been to Yak and Yeti, but I had been to two other locations operated by Landry’s Restaurants: Rainforest Café and T-Rex. The dining experience offered at Yak and Yeti, however, is certainly different than these other two locations. One of the things I most liked about Yak and Yeti was that it had its own back story, which helps you feel more immersed in the overall theme of the restaurant and also lends significance to the décor that you see all around you. To provide just a brief description of the restaurant’s story (which is conveniently located on the backside of the menus), the village of Anandapor sits on a highly traveled road to India upon which journey many travelers, pilgrims, and traders. In the village, a merchant named Arjun decided to convert his home into the Yak and Yeti hotel, which would cater to wealthier adventurers. Its décor and furniture are “an amalgamation of mismatched artifacts Arjun has collected through his years of travel in Southeast Asia,” and located at the center of the hotel is the Yak and Yeti Restaurant.



Atmosphere:
One of the great assets of Yak and Yeti is its décor. The restaurant itself is casual, but it has an exotic, almost sophisticated, feel. The amount of detail in the restaurant is impressive, from its large suits of armor that look like they belong in a museum to cabinets filled with small knickknacks; even the various light fixtures and different sets of tables and chairs found throughout the restaurant add to the story. All of these little touches and themed furnishings give you plenty to look at during your meal, but at the same time do not overwhelm you. One thing that came to mind as I was looking around was that it did not feel like the other Landry’s restaurants I have been to. Unlike Rainforest Café and T-Rex, which feature all-out, over-the-top theming, Yak and Yeti’s décor is much more subtle and subdued but no less effective and immersive.





What I also liked about the restaurant was how it was divided into a series of smaller rooms rather than featuring one large dining area. This gave it a much more intimate feel and really cut down on the noise. I was lucky enough to get a table upstairs by the windows, which offers a great vantage point for people-watching. I would definitely recommend asking for a table upstairs because the lower level has fewer windows and as a result is much darker. Overall, I think what makes the atmosphere of Yak and Yeti so effective is that it fits perfectly with the theme of the rest of Asia and the village of Anandapor. The restaurant itself is enhanced by everything else you experience as you walk through this land and is part of a much larger story.





The Menu:
The best way to describe the selection of food found on the menu would be Pan-Asian. Not limited to any one particular region or area of Asia, the menu offers much more than your typical Chinese restaurant fare. The menu is divided into several sections and features a wide array of choices. Among the appetizers are standards such as Pork Egg Rolls and Pot Stickers or Seared Ahi Tuna for the more adventurous. The “Noodles” section offers Chicken, Shrimp, or Vegetable Lo Mein while the “Wok” section features, among other things, Crispy Honey Chicken and Stir Fried Beef and Broccoli. Listed under “Specialties” are some seafood selections such as Seared Miso Salmon and Tempura Shrimp and the “Grilled” section includes Maple Tamarind Chicken and even Baby Back Ribs or a Kobe Beef Burger for those who are looking for something less exotic. Be sure to save room for dessert as the menu offers several sweet treats such as Fried Wantons and Mango Pie.

My server pointed out several of the more popular items on the menu. He said that the Shrimp Lo Mein and Baby Back Ribs were his two personal favorites, but that the Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp combination and the Tempura Shrimp were also very good as well. I wasn’t too hungry, and also wanted to make sure I saved room for dessert, so I ordered the Pork Pot Stickers appetizer as my entrée and also got a side order of the Fried Green Beans. For those of you not familiar with pot stickers, it is a Chinese dumpling which has a meat (or sometimes vegetable) filling wrapped in a thin piece of dough. The Pot Stickers at Yak and Yeti are offered two ways, either steamed or seared. I chose to have mine seared which turned out to be a good choice because they were cooked just right. The dough was slightly crispy, but still moist and not too dry, and the pork filling was nice and tender. The Pot Stickers came with a soy lime dipping sauce, but this was a little too strong for my taste.



As good as the Pot Stickers were, the Fried Green Beans were even better. First of all, for a side order the portion was huge and I ended up taking some home with me. I likened the green beans to healthy French fries; they had just the right amount of batter and were very light and crispy. What made the Fried Green Beans even better was the plum chili dipping sauce that they were served with. The sauce was not overly spicy, but added just the right amount of kick to the green beans.

For dessert I ordered the Fried Wantons, which my server explained was their most popular dessert item, and I am so glad that I saved room for it. Light and flaky on the outside, with a smooth cream cheese center, the wantons were amazing. They were complimented very well by pineapple and strawberries as well as just the right amount of vanilla ice cream so as not to overwhelm the wantons. What truly made the dessert was the honey vanilla sauce that came drizzled over the top. It added just the right amount of sweetness to the dessert, its flavor pairing very well with and enhancing both the wantons and the fruit.



Service:
Right from the moment I entered the restaurant the service was top notch. I did not have a reservation, but they were still able to seat me immediately. As a side note, I would definitely recommend making a reservation before dining here, as I would with all Disney dining locations. Even though it was not too crowded when I came into the restaurant at around 11:30 it was packed when I left about an hour later. My server was very nice and when I told him it was my first time eating at Yak and Yeti he went out of his way describing different items on the menu and offering a few suggestions. He was very personable and immediately struck up conversation when I told him that I went to college in Washington DC. What surprised me was that we also started talking about other Disney restaurants and even exchanged a few of our favorites. The food was brought out in a timely manner, but I did not feel rushed at all. My sever was also very good about checking in on me several times to make sure I was enjoying everything.

Dining on a Budget:
One money-saving tip I would give is to take advantage of the side order items on the menu. Many of the sides are the same as appetizers items, including Egg Rolls and Fried Green Beans as well as Chicken Fried Rice and Stir-Fried Vegetables. If you are undecided about which appetizer to get, you could choose to order a couple of sides instead. The portion size (at least for the Fried Green Beans that I ordered) is still very good. Another option for two or more people would be to split an entrée and get a couple of sides to go along with it. Another way to save some money, and if your looking for a quicker meal, would be to sit at the bar just to order a drink and a couple of appetizers. The appetizer portions are a good size and two split between two people would be filling (and you could always get a dessert if you are still hungry).

The Overall Experience:
I left Yak and Yeti very satisfied with my experience. The restaurant features a successful combination of great theming and detail, friendly service, and excellent food. There are still several other items on the menu that I want to try, so I will definitely be returning in the future; the Fried Wanton dessert is worth a repeat trip just by itself. I would definitely recommend Yak and Yeti to anyone visiting the Animal Kingdom, especially given the lack of other sit down restaurants in the park. It is a great way to relax and refresh, escaping the hustle and bustle of the crowds for a little while, but at the same time still allows you to continue to be immersed in the story and theme found throughout the Animal Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment